Friday, June 26, 2009

Stars & Light Bulbs

Stars are pretty. Stars are pretty and glowy. I wonder what they are...
Are they fairies? Angels? Or are they millions of light bulbs? "Fwink?"
"Yes Blogger?"
"What are stars?"
"Stars? Stars, Blogger, are big exploding balls of gas, mostly made up of hydrogen and helium." I scrunched my eyes in confusion. I preferred it when they were light bulbs.
"Why do you ask?"
"I dunno, they just got me thinking" I decided not to think about it much. I got bored of the stars eventually. We were lying on the grass in the garden, staring up at the light bulbs. The wet grass and cold breeze made me shiver. "What are you thinking Fwink?" I turned my head to the side so I was able to look at him.
"Nothing special". I waited for him to say more. "Actually, I am waiting".
"Waiting?" I asked. "For what?"
"A shooting star". I rolled my eyes the way Fwink did sometimes.
"Those... are not real". I smiled then. I am way smarter than Fwink. He thinks they are real!
"Oh, I wouldn't say that" That's the only thing he could say, because he doesn't know if they are real. "A shooting star isn't really a shooting star. It just looks like one. Remember when I said stars were exploding balls of gas?" No. "Well, a shooting star is the common name for the visible path of a meteoroid as it enters the atmosphere. A shooting star is also broken pieces of meteors that have become broken off in space". I dropped my eyes to the grass, he thinks he is so smart.
"Think of them as stars, or gas balls, falling out of the sky". So... Falling light bulbs. It must hurt when they hit you...
I looked at the stars again, regaining some interest. "Stars are pretty".
"Yes, they are Blogger". Yes, they are.

No comments: